Sunday, November 27, 2011

Maybelline Baby Lips Balm in Cherry Me, Pink Punch - Review, Photos, Swatches

You may have seen a new tinted lip balm at your local drugstore called Maybelline Baby Lips. Regardless of the... off-putting... name these little balms are quite handy and convenient, and I must say that I do enjoy them despite my nomenclatural misgivings. I purchased two, Pink Punch, a bright pink, and Cherry Me, a cherry red, for $2.99 each.


Packaging is nothing revolutionary, just what you would expect for this type of product. They each contain SPF 20 and according to Maybelline's claims moisturize dry lips for up to 8 hours.

L to R: Cherry Me, Pink Punch
Cherry Me
Pink Punch
L to R: Pink Punch, Cherry Me
I very much like Pink Punch - the color is more of a standout than that of Cherry Me, and the formula is smoother and slicker. As for 8-hour moisture... Well, I don't think even my beloved Jack Black can live up to that! I would say Pink Punch soothes dehydrated lips for about 4-5 hours before wearing away. It's an excellent tinted balm, providing a wash of shiny pink color while working efficiently to counteract dryness.

For whatever reason I don't find Cherry Me to be all that moisturizing; in fact, I can only wear it for about an hour before my lips get uncomfortable and cry out for a heavier balm. This one is quite unwearable and unpleasant for me, and if I didn't know Pink Punch and Cherry Me are both Maybelline Baby Lips balms I would never guess they are from the same collection or even brand - strange that two products from the same line can have such opposing reactions on me when worn! This one was disappointing compared to the excellent Pink Punch.

I'm conflicted. Pink Punch is really good - hydrating, slick, and offers a pretty and subtle veil of color. It may be my chemistry, but Cherry Me was quite horrid, uncomfortable, and didn't work for me at all. Or, this may have just been a fuddy-duddy tube that passed unnoticed through quality control. Either way, $2.99 isn't a large investment, and I wouldn't mind trying my luck with other shades in Maybelline's line.

Have you tried these balms? How did they work for you?

For those who celebrate it, I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I feel like I'm still recovering and trying to get back in the swing of things. Here is our table, full of delicious, festive goodies (two turkeys were involved!) -

Good food, good company :) How was your Thanksgiving?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, they are quite pigmented! How long does the pigment last on your lips :)?

    ReplyDelete