Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Nars Velvet Matte and Velvet Gloss Lip Pencils in New Lover, Frivolous, Club Mix, Sex Machine, Mexican Rose, Dragon Girl, Toundra - Review, Photos, Swatches

It has come to my attention that, at some point over the last few years, I have gathered a small but substantial army of Nars lip pencils! I swear I don't know how this happened 8D I do like these products, though, so I though I'd throw up some photos of the shades I have in case anyone was curious.

Club Mix, a sheer warm grape
New Lover, a sheer medium strawberry pink
Frivolous, a sheer pink nude
Sex Machine, a matte muted mauve
Mexican Rose, a sheer, vibrant hot pink
Toundra, a matte, rusted bronze
Dragon Girl, a matte classic red
L to R: New Lover, Frivolous, Club Mix, Sex Machine, Mexican Rose, Dragon Girl, Toundra
My favorites would have to be Mexican Rose and Dragon Girl. Mexican Rose is a lovely mid-vibrant, everyday hot pink that gives your lips a burst of color without being too over the top of neon for the workplace. It is my most used Nars lip pencil! Dragon Girl is simply a gorgeous, gorgeous creation - this is my go-to matte, blue-based red. I love the matte look (so vintage and classy) and I feel Dragon Girl is subdued enough, without losing the sexy sophistication often associated with these hues, to be a good fit even for those apprehensive of reds. My least favorite is Toundra; I got in on sale for $5 and I'm glad I didn't spend more! It is very unforgiving to dry lips, and is not a good complement to my skin tone.

The Nars Velvet Matte Pencils wear really well (about 4 hours) with even, non-splotchy fading. Dragon Girls and Sex Machine are comfortable to wear, though, as mentioned earlier, Toundra is drying. The Velvet Gloss pencils have a pleasant texture - smooth and soft. They don't hold as well as the mattes (only about 2 hours), but they're still really nice and shiny.

Both the Velvet Matte and Velvet Gloss Nars Lip Pencils sell for $24 regularly at Sephora (here and here), the Nars online store, and at some department store makeup counters.

What do you think? I'm a fan, and even more so because they come in pencil form!

Thanks for looking! :)

4 comments:

  1. Dragon Girl is stunning! I think I should get it. One can never have any too many reds, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely. I really like "New Lover and Frivolous". So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like those too for their femininity and subtlety! :)

      Delete